Jackson County
Sheriff's Office
Newport, Arkansas
Mobile Version Like us on Facebook!

Crime Tips HOTline 870-523-5842 or Submit Via Email

Phone: (870) 523-5842 (24 hours)

Fax: (870) 523-7418

Emergency: Dial 911

Email Map

3300 Theater Dr. PO Box 647 Newport, Arkansas 72112

Administrative Office Hours: M-F 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Civil Process



Sergeant Carl Schlotshauer

The Civil Process Division is located at the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office and is operated during normal business hours. This division is under the direct supervision of Sgt. Carl Schlotzhauer. The civil process division is responsible for the following:

  • Receiving and serving all civil process (summons, notices, subpoenas, court orders, and writs)
  • Returning civil process to issuing courts
  • Serving / enforcing body attachments, forthwith orders, child custody orders
  • Mental and alcohol commitments
  • Enforcing writs of execution (seizing real or personal property)
  • Serving / enforcing domestic abuse orders
  • Provides bailiff duties for the Jackson County Circuit Court

Frequently Asked Questions Pertaining to Civil Process:


This is one of the most frequently asked questions that we receive at the Sheriff's Office. You can go to the website listed below of the Arkansas Attorney General, Leslie Rutledge, and this site will have all the answers needed for questions concerning Landlord / Tenant rights.

Website for Landlord/Tenant Rights

Q: Who do I contact with questions on subpoenas or summons?

Q: Can you help me get my property back from my old roommate, husband, or wife?

A: This is considered a civil matter between you and your roommate, husband or wife. The Sheriff’s Office cannot get involved in these matters. All civil matters are handled through the court.

Q: How do I evict someone?

A: Three Steps to Eviction

The plaintiff must serve the respondent with a handwritten notice giving them ample time to be off the property. They can be served with this either through certified mail or in person with a witness, so that the plaintiff has proof they did serve the respondent. We do not serve any paper that does not come from the court as of 05-01-98. (We do not give an opinion on what ample time is. By law, we cannot give legal advice. They can call an attorney.)

If they are not out within the time allowed in the notice, the plaintiff needs to get an attorney and go through the court system. This is necessary because it is not a criminal matter, it is a civil matter and a decision has to be made by the court. We will NOT get involved in any type of removal without a court order.

  1. The attorney will issue a summons, complaint, and notice of intent to issue a writ of possession. The respondent has 20 days to file an answer to the complaint for lawsuit, but only has 5 days to file an answer to the notice of intent to issue a Writ of Possession. If they have not filed an answer to the notice within the five days, their attorney will go back to court and get the writ of possession. The summons, complaint, and notice can be served by a private process server, or by the Sheriff’s Office. If the plaintiff chooses the Sheriff’s Office we charge an $50.00 service fee.

  2. Once the Writ of Possession is issued it has to be served by the Sheriff’s Office. We charge $50.00 to serve the Writ of Possession. The respondent will have 24 hours from the time they are served to be out of the property. If they are not out when the 24 hours is up we will contact the plaintiff. It is the plaintiff’s responsibility to have movers there; the respondent’s things have to be moved to a public storage facility.

  3. We are present during the move to keep the peace and inform the respondent that up to this point it has been a civil matter, but once the plaintiff is placed in possession of the property it would be a violation of a court order to come back onto the property and charges could be filed by the plaintiff with the Prosecutor’s Office.

We accept personal checks, cash, certified check, or money order.

Q: How do I get a protection order or a restraining order?

A: The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office does not issue protection or restraining orders. The Circuit Judges issues protection and restraining orders. You can get a Protection or Restraining Order by using a private attorney or you can contact the Jackson County Circuit Clerk’s Office and they will assist you in this process.